The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 006 : FAIR EMPLOYMENT PRACTICES(Cite as: 21 V.S.A. § 495m)
§ 495m. Salary history; employment applications
(a) An employer shall not:
(1) inquire about or seek information regarding a prospective employee's current or past compensation from either the prospective employee or a current or former employer of the prospective employee;
(2) require that a prospective employee's current or past compensation satisfy minimum or maximum criteria; or
(3) determine whether to interview a prospective employee based on the prospective employee's current or past compensation.
(b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a)(1) of this section, if a prospective employee voluntarily discloses information about his or her current or past compensation, an employer may, after making an offer of employment with compensation to the prospective employee, seek to confirm or request that the prospective employee confirm that information.
(c) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent an employer from:
(1) inquiring about a prospective employee's salary expectations or requirements; or
(2) providing information about the wages, benefits, compensation, or salary offered in relation to a position.
(d) As used in this section, "compensation" includes wages, salary, bonuses, benefits, fringe benefits, and equity-based compensation. (Added 2017, No. 126 (Adj. Sess.), § 1.)