The Vermont Statutes Online
NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.
NOTE: The online version of the Vermont Statutes does NOT yet include the actions of the 2023 legislative session. The 2023 updates should be available by the end of October.
Subchapter 004 : GENERAL PROVISIONS(Cite as: 21 V.S.A. § 203)
§ 203. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) “Act” means the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, enacted by the Congress of the United States of America, and rules made thereunder, as amended at any time.
(2) “Commissioner” means the Commissioner of Labor or designee.
(3) “Department” means the Department of Labor.
(4) “Director” means the Director of Occupational Health.
(5) “Division” means the Division of Occupational Health.
(6) “Employee” means any person engaged in service to an employer for wages, salary or other compensation, excluding an independent contractor.
(7) “Employer” means a person, as hereinafter defined, who employs one or more persons.
(8) “Person” means a natural person, corporation, partnership, trust, society, club, association, or other organization, including municipalities and the State and its instrumentalities.
(9) “Place of employment” means any place where an employee is engaged in performance of his or her work or duties, or which is used in connection with an employee’s employment. It includes structures, buildings, machinery, equipment, tools, appliances, and materials used in connection with the employment. It also includes land and premises where an employer is carrying on any activity or business involving the use of one or more employees.
(10) “Premises” means land and the structures thereon which contains a place of employment as herein defined.
(11) “Rule” means a rule or regulation.
(12) “VOSHA Code” means subchapters 4 and 5 of this chapter and 18 V.S.A. chapter 28, and the rules adopted thereunder.
(13) “Review Board” means the Occupational Safety and Health Review Board.
(14) “Secretary of Labor” means the Secretary of Labor of the United States of America.
(15) “Secretary” means the Secretary of Human Services. (Added 1971, No. 205 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 1973, No. 214 (Adj. Sess.), § 17; 1979, No. 121 (Adj. Sess.), § 3; 2005, No. 103 (Adj. Sess.), § 3, eff. April 5, 2006.)