The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 002 : BOILERS AND PRESSURE VESSELS(Cite as: 21 V.S.A. § 141)
§§ 141-152. Repealed. 1971, No. 205 (Adj. Sess.), § 7, eff. date, see note set out below.
§ 141. Purpose; definitions
(a) The purpose of this subchapter is to assure that elevators and other automated conveyances are correctly and safely installed and operated within the State by authorizing and enforcing rules for the design, installation, operation, and maintenance of automated people conveyances, and by licensing mechanics and inspectors who work on these conveyances.
(b) For the purposes of this subchapter:
(1) "Board" means the Elevator Safety Review Board.
(2) "Certificate of operation" means a document issued by the Department indicating that a conveyance has passed the required safety inspection, and the conveyance may be operated for a year from the date the certificate is issued.
(3) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of Public Safety or the Commissioner's designee.
(4) "Conditional certificate of operation" means a document issued by the Department that permits a conveyance that is not in compliance with rules adopted under this subchapter, but, after inspection, has been deemed safe for temporary operation to operate for up to 30 days or until the conveyance is in compliance, whichever occurs earlier.
(5) "Conveyance" means an electrically-driven mechanical device that moves people or materials vertically, and includes elevators, escalators, platform lifts and stairway chairlifts.
(6) "Department" means the Department of Public Safety.
(7) "Elevator inspector" means an individual who is licensed by the Commissioner to perform safety inspections of newly installed and existing conveyances.
(8) "Elevator mechanic" means an individual who is licensed by the Commissioner to erect, construct, install, alter, service, repair, and maintain conveyances.
(9) "Public building" has the same meaning as that term is defined in 20 V.S.A. § 2730.
(10) "Lift mechanic" means an individual who is licensed by the Commissioner to erect, construct, install, alter, service, repair, and maintain platform lifts and stairway chairlifts. (Added 2001, No. 60, § 1, eff. June 16, 2001; amended 2001, No. 151 (Adj. Sess.), § 44b, eff. June 27, 2002; 2005, No. 8, § 6, eff. April 25, 2005.)