The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 005 : CONTROL OF RABIES(Cite as: 20 V.S.A. § 3806)
§ 3806. Confining or impounding a domestic pet or wolf-hybrid
(a) Any person authorized to enforce state livestock disease control, health, wildlife, or criminal laws and any person authorized to enforce local ordinances may confine, or impound any domestic pet or wolf-hybrid when:
(1) It is suspected of having been exposed to rabies.
(2) It is believed to have been attacked by another animal which may be rabid.
(3) It has been attacked by a wild animal.
(4) It has been running at large in violation of any of the provisions of this subchapter.
(5) It has an unknown rabies vaccination history.
(b) In the event that a domestic pet or wolf-hybrid is confined or impounded under this section, the owner, if known, shall be notified within 24 hours. Notification may be accomplished by in-person communication, by telephone call, or by written statement sent to the last known address of the owner. If the owner's address is not known, notification may be posted in the municipal clerk's office and other usual places for public notice for a one-week period.
(c) Any domestic pet or wolf-hybrid which is considered a rabies suspect shall be managed in accordance with the rules of the department of health. Rules adopted by the department of health in accordance with this chapter shall provide for management of domestic pets or wolf-hybrids for whom there is no approved rabies vaccine. (Amended 1993, No. 213 (Adj. Sess.), § 25, eff. June 15, 1994.)