The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 001 : GENERAL PROVISIONS(Cite as: 20 V.S.A. § 3541)
§ 3541. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) “Secretary” where no other department is referenced means the Secretary of Agriculture, Food and Markets and includes his or her designee.
(2) “Domestic animal” means those animals defined by 6 V.S.A. § 1151(2).
(3) “Domestic pet” or “pet” means any domestic dogs, domestic cats, and ferrets. The term shall also include such other domestic animals as the Secretary shall establish by rule, provided that the Secretary finds that the animal has the potential to become an imminent danger to public health or welfare if not subjected to the provisions of this chapter.
(4) “Ferret” means only the European ferret (Mustela putorious furo).
(5) “Legislative body” means the legislative body of a town, city, or incorporated village.
(6) “Owner” means any person who owns a domestic pet or wolf-hybrid and includes any person who has actual or constructive possession of the pet or wolf-hybrid. The term also includes those persons who provide feed or shelter to a domestic pet or wolf-hybrid.
(7) “Respondent” means a person alleged to have violated any provision of this chapter.
(8) “Wolf-hybrid” means an animal that is the progeny or descendant of a domestic dog (Canis familiaris) and a wolf (Canis lupus or Canis rufus). “Wolf-hybrid” also means an animal that is advertised, registered, licensed, or otherwise described or represented as a wolf-hybrid by its owner or an animal that exhibits primary physical and behavioral wolf characteristics. The Commissioner of Fish and Wildlife shall adopt a rule describing primary physical and behavioral wolf characteristics.
(9) “Working farm dog” means a dog that is bred or trained to herd or protect livestock or poultry or to protect crops and that is used for those purposes and that is registered as a working farm dog pursuant to subsection 3581(a) of this title.
(10) “Pet dealer” means any person who sells or exchanges or who offers to sell or exchange cats, dogs, or wolf-hybrids, or any combination thereof, from three or more litters of cats, dogs, or wolf-hybrids in any 12-month period. This definition shall not apply to pet shops, animal shelters, or rescue organizations as those terms are defined in section 3901 of this title. (Added 1993, No. 213 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. June 15, 1994; amended 2003, No. 42, § 2, eff. May 27, 2003; 2009, No. 48, § 7, eff. May 28, 2009; 2013, No. 30, § 1.)