The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 002 : SEARCH AND RESCUE(Cite as: 20 V.S.A. § 1847)
[Section 1847 effective until July 1, 2021; see also section 1847 effective July 1, 2021 set out below.]
§ 1847. Search and Rescue Council
(a) Creation of Council. There is created a Search and Rescue Council, which shall be responsible for analyzing the performance of search and rescue operations conducted in the State.
(b)(1) Membership. The Council shall be composed of eight members who shall serve two-year terms commencing on July 1 of each odd-numbered year. Members of the Council shall be as follows:
(A) the Search and Rescue Coordinator;
(B) the Vermont State Police Search and Rescue Team Leader;
(C) one member of the Department of Fish and Wildlife, appointed by the Commissioner of the Department;
(D) one member of the public with experience in search and rescue operations, appointed by the Governor;
(E) one member of the National Ski Patrol or the Green Mountain Club with extensive experience in search and rescue operations, appointed by the Governor;
(F) one member of a professional or volunteer search and rescue organization, appointed by the Governor; and
(G) one volunteer firefighter and one career firefighter, each of whom has obtained National Association of Search and Rescue "SARTECH 3" or equivalent training and either Incident Command System (ICS) 200 or National Incident Management System (NIMS) 300 training, appointed by the Governor.
(2) The appointed members shall be appointed to reflect the different geographic regions of the State.
(c) Powers and duties. The Council shall:
(1) meet quarterly and upon the call of the Chair;
(2) establish the search and rescue training and equipment standards that shall be required of members of the Search and Rescue Team;
(3) review completed search and rescue operations and make recommendations to search and rescue resources on how those operations may be improved; and
(4) at its discretion and subject to the provisions of 32 V.S.A. § 5, apply for and accept contributions, capital grants, gifts, services, and funds from any source.
(d) Structure; decision-making. The Council shall elect a Chair from its membership. The provisions of 1 V.S.A. § 172 (joint authority of three or more) shall apply to the meetings and decision-making of the Council.
(e) Report. The Council shall report annually by November 15 to the House and Senate Committees on Government Operations its findings and any recommendations for legislative action.
(f) Reimbursement. Members of the Council who are not employees of the State of Vermont shall be entitled to compensation as provided in 32 V.S.A. § 1010. (Added 2013, No. 26, § 1, eff. May 13, 2013.)
[Section 1847 effective July 1, 2021; see also section 1847 effective until July 1, 2021 set out above.]
§ 1847. Repealed. 2013, No. 26, § 4a, eff. July 1, 2021.