The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 8722. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Department" means the Department of Disabilities, Aging, and Independent Living.
(2) "Developmental disability" means a severe, chronic disability of a person that is manifested before the person reaches 18 years of age and results in:
(A) intellectual disability, autism, or pervasive developmental disorder; and
(B) deficits in adaptive behavior at least two standard deviations below the mean for a normative comparison group.
(3) "Family" means a group of individuals that includes a person with a developmental disability and that:
(A) is related by blood, marriage, or adoption; or
(B) considers themselves a family based upon bonds of affection, which, for the purposes of this subdivision, means enduring ties that do not depend upon the existence of an economic relationship.
(4) "Person with a developmental disability" means a person who is a resident of Vermont and who has a developmental disability.
(5) "Recipient" means a person with a developmental disability or a family that has been approved to receive services or funding under criteria specified in the system of care plan.
(6) "Service" means support or service provided, funded, or coordinated by the Department.
(7) "System of care plan" means the plan adopted pursuant to section 8725 of this title and that describes funding and services to be provided to people with developmental disabilities and their families. (Added 1995, No. 174 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 2005, No. 174 (Adj. Sess.), § 45; 2013, No. 96 (Adj. Sess.), § 112; 2013, No. 140 (Adj. Sess.), § 1.)