The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 5281. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Bona fide physician-patient relationship" means a treating or consulting relationship in the course of which a physician has completed a full assessment of the patient's medical history and current medical condition, including a personal physical examination.
(2) "Capable" means that a patient has the ability to make and communicate health care decisions to a physician, including communication through persons familiar with the patient's manner of communicating if those persons are available.
(3) "Health care facility" shall have the same meaning as in section 9432 of this title.
(4) "Health care provider" means a person, partnership, corporation, facility, or institution, licensed or certified or authorized by law to administer health care or dispense medication in the ordinary course of business or practice of a profession.
(5) "Impaired judgment" means that a person does not sufficiently understand or appreciate the relevant facts necessary to make an informed decision.
(6) "Interested person" means:
(A) the patient's physician;
(B) a person who knows that he or she is a relative of the patient by blood, civil marriage, civil union, or adoption;
(C) a person who knows that he or she would be entitled upon the patient's death to any portion of the estate or assets of the patient under any will or trust, by operation of law, or by contract; or
(D) an owner, operator, or employee of a health care facility, nursing home, or residential care facility where the patient is receiving medical treatment or is a resident.
(7) "Palliative care" shall have the same definition as in section 2 of this title.
(8) "Patient" means a person who is 18 years of age or older, a resident of Vermont, and under the care of a physician.
(9) "Physician" means an individual licensed to practice medicine under 26 V.S.A. chapter 23 or 33.
(10) "Terminal condition" means an incurable and irreversible disease which would, within reasonable medical judgment, result in death within six months. (Added 2013, No. 39, § 1, eff. May 20, 2013.)