Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to subnav
Searching 2021-2022 Session

The Vermont Statutes Online


Title 18 : Health


(Cite as: 18 V.S.A. § 5150)
  • § 5150. Correction of civil marriage certificate

    (a) Within six months after a marriage is solemnized, the town clerk may correct or complete a civil marriage certificate upon application by a party to the marriage or by the person who solemnized the marriage. The town clerk may correct or complete the certificate accordingly and shall certify thereon that such correction or completion was made pursuant to this section, with the date thereof. In his or her discretion, the town clerk may refuse an application for correction or completion, in which case, the applicant may petition the Probate Division of the Superior Court for such correction or completion.

    (b) After six months from the date a marriage is solemnized, a civil marriage certificate may only be corrected or amended pursuant to decree of the Probate Division of the Superior Court in which district the original certificate is filed.

    (c) The Probate Division of the Superior Court to which such application is made shall set a time for hearing thereon and, if such court deems necessary, cause notice of the time and place thereof to be given by posting the same in the Probate Division of the Superior Court office and, after hearing, shall make such findings, with respect to the correction of such civil marriage certificate as are supported by the evidence. The court shall thereupon issue a decree setting forth the facts as found, and transmit a certified copy of such decree to the State Registrar. The State Registrar shall transmit the same to the appropriate town clerk to amend the original or issue a new certificate. The words "Court Amended" shall be typed, written, or stamped at the top of the new or amended certificate with the date of the decree and the name of the issuing court. (Added 1979, No. 142 (Adj. Sess.), § 24; amended 2009, No. 3, § 12a, eff. Sept. 1, 2009; 2009, No. 154 (Adj. Sess.), § 238a, eff. Feb. 1, 2011; 2017, No. 46, § 58, eff. July 1, 2019.)