The Vermont Statutes Online
The Vermont Statutes Online have been updated to include the actions of the 2023 session of the General Assembly.
NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.
Subchapter 004 : Wholesale Prescription Drug Importation Program(Cite as: 18 V.S.A. § 4651)
§ 4651. Wholesale importation program for prescription drugs; design
(a) The Agency of Human Services, in consultation with interested stakeholders and appropriate federal officials, shall design a wholesale prescription drug importation program that complies with the applicable requirements of 21 U.S.C. § 384, including the requirements regarding safety and cost savings. The program design shall:
(1) designate a State agency that shall either become a licensed drug wholesaler or contract with a licensed drug wholesaler in order to seek federal certification and approval to import safe prescription drugs and provide significant prescription drug cost savings to Vermont consumers;
(2) use Canadian prescription drug suppliers regulated under the laws of Canada or of one or more Canadian provinces, or both;
(3) ensure that only prescription drugs meeting the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s safety, effectiveness, and other standards shall be imported by or on behalf of the State;
(4) import only those prescription drugs expected to generate substantial savings for Vermont consumers;
(5) ensure that the program complies with the tracking and tracing requirements of 21 U.S.C. §§ 360eee and 360eee-1 to the extent feasible and practical prior to imported drugs coming into the possession of the State wholesaler and that it complies fully after imported drugs are in the possession of the State wholesaler;
(6) prohibit the distribution, dispensing, or sale of imported products outside Vermont’s borders;
(7) recommend a charge per prescription or another method of support to ensure that the program is funded adequately in a manner that does not jeopardize significant consumer savings; and
(8) include a robust audit function.
(b) On or before January 1, 2019, the Secretary of Human Services shall submit the proposed design for a wholesale prescription drug importation program to the House Committees on Health Care and on Ways and Means and the Senate Committees on Health and Welfare and on Finance. (Added 2017, No. 133 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. May 21, 2018.)