The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 001 : GENERAL PROVISIONS(Cite as: 18 V.S.A. § 1416)
§ 1416. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Director" means the Director of Occupational Health.
(2) "Division" means the Division of Occupational Health.
(3) "Employee" means any person engaged in service to an employer for wages, salary, or other compensation, excluding an independent contractor.
(4) "Employer" means a person, as hereinafter defined, who employs one or more persons.
(5) "Health hazard" means any material, including biological material or energy, or both, in any form from any source that can adversely affect the health of any employee, or can adversely affect the health of any person exposed in a place of employment or any person adversely exposed from a source in a place of employment.
(6) "Occupational disease" means a disease caused by exposure to an occupational health hazard.
(7) "VOSHA Code" means this chapter and 21 V.S.A. chapter 3, subchapters 4 and 5.
(8) "Person" means a natural person, corporation, partnership, trust, society, club, association, or other organization, including municipalities and the State.
(9) "Place of employment" means any work place or place where an employee is engaged in performance of his or her work or duties, or which is used in connection with an employee's employment. It includes structures, buildings, machinery, equipment, tools, appliances, and materials used in connection with the employment. It also includes land and premises where an employer is carrying on any activity or business involving the use of one or more employees. (Added 1971, No. 205 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; amended 2017, No. 113 (Adj. Sess.), § 62.)