The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 003 : CONTRIBUTION LIMITATIONS(Cite as: 17 V.S.A. § 2950)
§ 2950. State officers and State office candidates; contractor contribution restrictions
(a) Contributor restrictions on contracting.
(1) If a person makes a contribution to a State officer or a candidate for a State office, or if his, her, or its principal or spouse makes such a contribution, that person shall not negotiate or enter into a sole source contract valued at $50,000.00 or more or multiple sole source contracts valued in the aggregate at $100,000.00 or more with that State office or with the State on behalf of that office within one year following:
(A) that contribution, if the contribution was made to the incumbent State officer; or
(B) the beginning of the term of the office, if the contribution was made to a candidate for the State office who is not the incumbent.
(2) The prohibition set forth in subdivision (1) of this subsection shall end after the applicable one-year period described in subdivision (1) or upon the State officer vacating the office, whichever occurs first.
(b) Contractor restrictions on contributions.
(1)(A) A person who enters into a sole source contract valued at $50,000.00 or more or multiple sole source contracts valued in the aggregate at $100,000.00 or more with the office of a State officer or with the State on behalf of that office, or that person’s principal or spouse, shall not make a contribution to a candidate for that State office or to that State officer.
(B) The candidate for State office or his or her candidate’s committee or the State officer shall not solicit or accept a contribution from a person if that candidate, candidate’s committee, or State officer knows the person is prohibited from making that contribution under this subdivision (1).
(2) The prohibitions set forth in subdivision (1) of this subsection shall be limited to a period beginning from the date of execution of the contract and ending with the completion of the contract.
(c) As used in this section:
(1) “Contract” means a “contract for services,” as that term is defined in 3 V.S.A. § 341.
(2) “Person’s principal” means an individual who:
(A) has a controlling interest in the person, if the person is a business entity;
(B) is the president, chair of the board, or chief executive officer of a business entity or is any other individual that fulfills equivalent duties as a president, chair of the board, or chief executive officer of a business entity;
(C) is an employee of the person and has direct, extensive, and substantive responsibilities with respect to the negotiation of the contract; or
(D) is an employee of a business entity whose compensation is determined directly, in whole or in part, by the award or payment of contracts by the State to the entity employing the employee. A regular salary that is paid irrespective of the award or payment of a contract with the State shall not constitute “compensation” under this subdivision (D). (Added 2017, No. 79, § 4, eff. Dec. 16, 2018.)