The Vermont Statutes Online
NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.
NOTE: The online version of the Vermont Statutes does NOT yet include the actions of the 2023 legislative session. The 2023 updates should be available by the end of October.
§ 2623. Vacancies in offices within this State
(a) In the event of a vacancy in any State, county, or legislative office, the Governor may request the political party or parties of the person whose death or resignation created the vacancy to submit one or more recommendations as to a successor. The proper committee to which a request for recommendation shall be directed shall be:
(1) for State officers, the State committee;
(2) for county officers, except justices of the peace and Probate judges, the county committee;
(3) for State Senator, the senatorial district committee;
(4) for State Representative, the representative district committee;
(5) for justice of the peace, the town committee;
(6) for Probate judge, the probate district committee.
(b) The Governor may appoint a qualified person to fill the vacancy for the remaining portion of the term, whether or not the appointee is recommended by the party committee. (Added 1977, No. 269 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 1981, No. 239 (Adj. Sess.), § 20; 2013, No. 161 (Adj. Sess.), § 44.)