The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 2313. Filing of certificate of organization
(a)(1) Within 10 days after the first meeting of the State committee of a party, the chair and secretary shall file in the office of the Secretary of State a certificate stating that the party has completed its organization for the ensuing two years and has substantially complied with the provisions of this chapter.
(2) However, no State committee shall be eligible to file a certificate of organization unless it has town committees organized in at least 30 towns in this State and county committees organized in at least seven counties by January 1 of the year of the general election.
(b) The certificate of organization shall:
(1) set forth the names, mailing addresses, phone numbers, and e-mails of the officers and members of the State committee, together with the counties that they represent;
(2) contain a listing of the towns and counties in which committees have organized;
(3) designate, in not more than three words, the name by which the party shall be identified on any Australian ballot; and
(4) be accompanied by a copy of the notice calling the meeting.
(c) The Secretary of State shall prescribe and furnish the form to be used for this purpose.
(d) Upon receipt of a certificate of organization, the Secretary of State promptly shall notify all persons who have registered with the Secretary of State asking to be notified of such filings.
(e)(1) Within 10 days, the Secretary of State shall accept a certificate of organization if it appears to be valid on its face or reject it if it is not.
(2) The Secretary of State may reject a certificate of organization if the political or other name is not substantially different from the name of any organized political party.
(3) When a certificate is rejected, the Secretary of State promptly shall notify the chair and secretary of the committee to inform them in writing of the reasons for rejection.
(f) A committee is not considered organized until the material required by this section has been filed and accepted. (Added 1979, No. 198 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 1983, No. 90, § 3, eff. April 29, 1983; 2001, No. 5, § 16; 2013, No. 161 (Adj. Sess.), § 8; 2019, No. 67, § 9.)