The Vermont Statutes Online
The statutes were updated in November, 2018, and contain all actions of the
2018 legislative session.
Subchapter 002 : REGISTRATION OF VOTERS(Cite as: 17 V.S.A. § 2145b)
§ 2145b. Voter registration agencies
(a) Each voter registration agency shall:
(1) distribute voter registration application forms approved under section 2145 of this title;
(2) assist applicants in completing voter registration application forms, unless the applicant refuses such assistance; and
(3) accept completed voter registration applications and transmit completed applications to the Secretary of State not later than 10 days after the date of acceptance, or before the date of any primary or general election, whichever is sooner.
(b) The Secretary shall promptly transmit applications received under this section to the clerks of the appropriate municipalities.
(c) A voter registration agency shall provide each applicant who does not decline to register to vote the same degree of assistance with regard to the completion of the voter registration application that the office provides with regard to the completion of its own forms, unless the applicant refuses such assistance. If an agency provides services to a person with a disability at the person's home, the agency shall provide the services described in subsection (a) of this section at the person's home.
(d) A voter registration agency that provides services or assistance in addition to conducting voter registration shall distribute a voter registration application with each application for the services or assistance provided by the agency, and with each recertification, renewal, or change of address form relating to those services or assistance. In addition to the voter registration application form, the agency shall distribute a separate form that includes the following:
(1) The question, "If you are not registered to vote where you live now, would you like to apply to register to vote here today?"
(2) In the case of an agency that provides public assistance, the statement, "Applying to register or declining to register to vote will not affect the amount of assistance that you will be provided by this agency."
(3) Boxes for the applicant to check to indicate whether the applicant would like to register or declines to register to vote, together with the statement, "IF YOU DO NOT CHECK EITHER BOX, YOU WILL BE CONSIDERED TO HAVE DECIDED NOT TO REGISTER TO VOTE AT THIS TIME."
(4) The statement, "If you would like help in filling out the voter registration application form, we will help you. The decision whether to seek or accept help is yours. You may fill out the application form in private."
(5) The statement, "If you believe that someone has interfered with your right to register or to decline to register to vote, you may file a complaint with the Secretary of State (Secretary of State's office address and telephone number)." (Added 1997, No. 47, § 6; amended 2013, No. 161 (Adj. Sess.), § 3; 2015, No. 44, § 6, eff. Jan. 1, 2017.)