The Vermont Statutes Online
The statutes were updated in November, 2018, and contain all actions of the
2018 legislative session.
Subchapter 001 : QUALIFICATIONS OF VOTERS(Cite as: 17 V.S.A. § 2124)
§ 2124. Voter's oath or affirmation; how administered; application
(a) The voter's oath may be administered by:
(1) a person authorized by the law of this State to administer oaths and affirmations;
(2) a member of a board of civil authority;
(3) a commissioned officer of the military service;
(4) any other person qualified to administer oaths and affirmations, within or outside the United States, by the laws of the place in which the oath or affirmation is administered;
(5) any other person over the age of 18; or
(6) an applicant for addition to the checklist who attests to having taken the oath or affirmation under the penalty of perjury.
(c) At a minimum, the town clerk shall keep the completed applications for addition to the checklist, or an electronic copy thereof, through the end of the general election cycle that follows the one in which the application was received. The town clerk shall verify, upon request, that a voter has been given the oath or affirmation. (Added 1977, No. 269 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 1979, No. 200 (Adj. Sess.), § 7; 1989, No. 200 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 1997, No. 47, § 10; 2001, No. 6, § 12(b), eff. April 10, 2001; 2007, No. 113 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 2015, No. 30, § 1, eff. May 26, 2015; 2015, No. 80 (Adj. Sess.), § 3, eff. July 1, 2017.)