The Vermont Statutes Online
§§ 1693, 1694. Repealed. 1977, No. 33, § 6.
§ 1693. Standards Board for Professional Educators
(a) There is hereby established the Vermont Standards Board for Professional Educators comprising 13 members as follows: seven teachers, two administrators, one of whom shall be a school superintendent, one public member, one school board member, one representative of educator preparation programs from a public institution of higher education, and one representative of educator preparation programs from a private institution of higher education.
(b) Appointment and qualifications. All members of the Standards Board shall be appointed by the Governor for terms of three years, which shall begin July 1 of the year of appointment. Prior to appointing a member, the Governor shall consult with the State Board of Education, and, as appropriate, the Vermont National Education Association, the Vermont School Boards Association, the Vermont Principals Association, the Vermont Superintendents Association, the Vermont State Colleges, the University of Vermont, and the Association of Vermont Independent Colleges. No person shall be eligible for more than one sequential reappointment. The Governor shall appoint a replacement to fill any vacancy on the Standards Board for the remainder of the term. The Governor shall assure appointments are consistent with the following requirements:
(1) Each member of the Standards Board shall be a citizen of the United States and a resident of Vermont.
(2) The educator members shall be generally representative of elementary and secondary schools and of programs of study taught in Vermont public schools and of administrative positions in Vermont public schools. Teacher members shall hold a license and have at least five years' experience in public school teaching, at least three of which shall have been within the five years preceding appointment. Administrator members shall hold a license and be endorsed as an administrator and have at least five years' experience in public school administration, at least three of which shall have been within the five years preceding appointment.
(3) The school board member shall be a current school district board member or have served on a school district board at some period during the three years prior to appointment.
(4) The public member shall not be a member of the State Board of Education or an employee of any school and shall not derive primary livelihood in the field of public or independent education at any level of responsibility.
(c) Standards Board officers; meetings The Standards Board shall elect from its members a chair, vice chair, and secretary who shall serve for one year and until their successors are elected and seated. The Board shall meet at the request of the Chair or at such other times and places as the Board may determine. Seven members of the Board shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
(d) Compensation. The Agency shall compensate Standards Board members for the performance of their duties and reimburse them for their actual and necessary expenses in accordance with 32 V.S.A. § 1010.
(e) Administration. The Standards Board shall be attached for administrative purposes to the office. With respect to the Standards Board, the Secretary shall:
(1) With the advice of the Standards Board, employ a director, prepare an annual budget, and administer money appropriated to the Standards Board by the General Assembly. The budget of the Standards Board shall be part of the budget of the Agency.
(2) Employ administrative staff of the office.
(3) Incur such other expenses as the Secretary determines are necessary.
(4) Act as custodian of the records of the Standards Board.
(5) Annually, conduct a training for members of the Standards Board and the hearing panels established in this chapter, which shall include workshops regarding the powers and duties of the Standards Board and the panels and an opportunity for the Standards Board and hearing panel members to discuss the practical application of standards in quasi-judicial proceedings. (Amended 2005, No. 214 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. July 1, 2007; 2013, No. 92 (Adj. Sess.), § 161, eff. Feb. 14, 2014; 2017, No. 49, § 40, eff. May 23, 2017.)