The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 002 : STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION(Cite as: 16 V.S.A. § 1531)
§ 1531. Responsibility of State Board
(a) The State Board has overall responsibility for the effectiveness of career technical education. This requires the Board to collect suitable information and to take appropriate steps within its legal, financial, and personnel resources to ensure that:
(1) Career technical education is equally available to students and is of consistent quality in all parts of the State, including areas remote from career technical centers.
(2) The timing and content of career technical education is properly and flexibly coordinated with academic instruction.
(3) Career technical education is available to adult students, particularly in areas where unemployment is high or occupational retraining needs are great. This includes entering into contracts with postsecondary educational institutions or with any resource supplier to provide adult programs at career technical centers.
(4) Career technical education programs and courses of study are demonstrably useful to their graduates in obtaining employment or improving the quality of their employment.
(5) Career technical education programs are well coordinated with related State programs in education and training. This includes ensuring that career technical education graduates receive appropriate credit toward requirements in apprenticeship programs and professional licensing programs.
(b) In order to provide regional career technical education services efficiently, the State Board shall designate a service region for each career technical center. However, the Board may designate a service region for two or more comprehensive high schools if that region is not served by a career technical center.
(c) For a school district that is geographically isolated from a Vermont career technical center, the State Board may approve a career technical center in another state as the career technical center that district students may attend. In this case, the school district shall receive transportation assistance pursuant to section 1563 of this title and tuition assistance pursuant to section 1561(c) of this title. Any student who is a resident in the Windham Southwest Supervisory Union and who is enrolled at public expense in the Charles H. McCann Technical School or the Franklin County Technical School shall be considered to be attending an approved career technical center in another state pursuant to this subsection, and, if the student is from a school district eligible for a small schools support grant pursuant to section 4015 of this title, the student's full-time equivalency shall be computed according to time attending the school. (Added 1983, No. 247 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 1987, No. 238 (Adj. Sess.), § 14; 1991, No. 204 (Adj. Sess.), § 7; 1993, No. 233 (Adj. Sess.), § 49c, eff. June 21, 1994; 1999, No. 10, § 1; 1999, No. 29, § 49, eff. May 19, 1999; 2001, No. 142 (Adj. Sess.), § 188a; 2003, No. 66, § 183a; 2013, No. 56, § 28; 2013, No. 92 (Adj. Sess.), § 302, eff. Feb. 14, 2014.)