The Vermont Statutes Online
NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.
NOTE: The online version of the Vermont Statutes does NOT yet include the actions of the 2023 legislative session. The 2023 updates should be available by the end of October.
§ 827. Designation of a public high school or an approved independent high school as the public high school of a school district
(a) A school district not maintaining an approved public high school may vote on such terms or conditions as it deems appropriate, to designate three or fewer approved independent or public high schools as the public high school or schools of the district.
(b) Except as otherwise provided in this section, if the board of trustees or the school board of a designated school votes to accept this designation, the school shall be regarded as a public school for tuition purposes under subsection 824(b) of this title, and the sending school district shall pay tuition only to that school, and to any other school designated under this section, until such time as the sending school district or the designated school votes to rescind the designation.
(c) A parent or legal guardian who is dissatisfied with the instruction provided at a designated school or who cannot obtain for his or her child the kind of course or instruction desired there, or whose child can be better accommodated in an approved independent or public high school nearer his or her home during the next academic year, may request on or before April 15 that the school board pay tuition to another approved independent or public high school selected by the parent or guardian.
(d) The school board may pay tuition to another approved high school as requested by the parent or legal guardian if in its judgment that will best serve the interests of the student. Its decision shall be final in regard to the institution the student may attend. If the board approves the parent’s request, the board shall pay tuition for the student in an amount not to exceed the least of:
(1) The statewide average announced tuition of Vermont union high schools.
(2) The per-pupil tuition the district pays to the designated school in the year in which the student is enrolled in the nondesignated school. If the district has designated more than one school pursuant to this section, then it shall be the lowest per-pupil tuition paid to a designated school.
(3) The tuition charged by the approved nondesignated school in the year in which the student is enrolled.
(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary:
(1) the school districts of Pawlet, Rupert, and Wells may designate a public high school located in New York as the public high school of the district pursuant to the provisions of this section;
(2) unless otherwise directed by an affirmative vote of the school district, when the Wells Board approves parental requests to pay tuition to a nondesignated approved independent or public school, the Board shall pay tuition in an amount not to exceed the base education amount as determined under section 4011 of this title for the fiscal year in which tuition is being paid; and
(3) unless otherwise directed by an affirmative vote of the school district, when the Strafford Board approves a parental request to pay tuition to a nondesignated approved independent or public school, the Board shall pay tuition to the nondesignated school pursuant to section 824 of this title for the year in which the student is enrolled; provided, however, that it shall not pay tuition in an amount that exceeds the tuition paid to the designated school for the same academic year. (Added 1969, No. 298 (Adj. Sess.), § 58; amended 1989, No. 271 (Adj. Sess.), § 5; 1991, No. 24, § 4; 2009, No. 44, § 13, eff. May 21, 2009; 2009, No. 153 (Adj. Sess.), § 21a; 2011, No. 156 (Adj. Sess.), § 33, eff. May 16, 2012; 2015, No. 46, § 45.)