The Vermont Statutes Online
The Vermont Statutes Online have been updated to include the actions of the 2023 session of the General Assembly.
NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.
Subchapter 005 : Harassment, Hazing, and Bullying(Cite as: 16 V.S.A. § 570b)
§ 570b. Hazing
The hazing prevention policy required by section 570 of this title and its plan for implementation shall include:
(1) a statement that hazing, as defined in subdivision 11(a)(30) of this title, is prohibited and may be subject to civil penalties pursuant to article 3 of this subchapter 5;
(2) a procedure that directs students, staff, parents, and guardians how to report violations and file complaints;
(3) a procedure for investigating reports of violations and complaints;
(4) a description of the circumstances under which hazing may be reported to a law enforcement agency;
(5) appropriate penalties or sanctions, or both, for organizations that or individuals who engage in hazing and revocation or suspension of an organization’s permission to operate or exist within the institution’s purview if that organization knowingly permits, authorizes, or condones hazing;
(6) a description of how the school board will ensure that teachers and other staff members receive training in preventing, recognizing, and responding to hazing; and
(7) annual designation of two or more people at each school campus to receive complaints and a procedure for publicizing those people’s availability. (Added 2011, No. 129 (Adj. Sess.), § 12, eff. May 11, 2012; amended 2013, No. 92 (Adj. Sess.), § 72, eff. Feb. 14, 2014.)