The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 007 : Child Support Enforcement(Cite as: 15 V.S.A. § 780)
§ 780. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Court" means the court with jurisdiction over the proceeding.
(2) "Employer" means any employer or payor of wages of any type to the obligor.
(3) "Obligee" means the person found to be legally entitled to receive support or any person to whom the obligee has assigned or authorized all rights of collection.
(4) "Obligor" means the person required to pay support under a support order.
(5) "Registry" means the registry established in 33 V.S.A. § 4103.
(6) "Support" means periodic payments ordered for the support of dependent children or, for the purposes of sections 783-790 of this title only, a spouse. Support includes periodic amounts to be applied toward unpaid arrearages.
(7) "Support order" means any judgment, order or contract for support enforceable in this state, including, but not limited to, orders issued pursuant to 15 V.S.A. chapter 5 (relating to desertion and support and parentage), 7 (relating to URESA) or 11 (relating to annulment and divorce).
(8) "Wage withholding order" means a transfer from the obligor to the obligee of the right to receive a portion of the obligor's wages directly from the obligor's employer.
(9) "Wages" means any compensation paid or payable for personal services, whether designated as wages, salary, commission, bonuses, or otherwise, and shall include periodic payments under pension or retirement programs, workers' compensation, or insurance policies of any type. (Added 1983, No. 222 (Adj. Sess.); amended 1985, No. 63, § 5; 1989, No. 220 (Adj. Sess.), § 2.)