The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 006 : Sale of Real Estate(Cite as: 14 V.S.A. § 2882)
§ 2882. Regulations under which license granted
As provided in section 2881 of this title, the order of a Probate Division of the Superior Court licensing the sale of lands of wards shall be made under the following regulations:
(1) On motion of the guardian for license to sell, the probate division of the superior court shall schedule a hearing and notice shall be given as provided by the Rules of Probate Procedure.
(2) At the hearing, the guardian shall produce evidence of the value of the estate to be sold, the interest of the ward therein and of the necessity of sale.
(3) Before license is granted and if the court requires, the guardian shall give a bond with sufficient sureties, in a sum double the value of the land to be sold, conditioned to account for the proceeds of the sale, according to law, and shall also be sworn to sell the estate as judged will be most beneficial to the ward. A certificate of the oath made by the authority administering it shall be returned to the Probate Division of the Superior Court before the license issues.
(4) If the foregoing requisites are complied with, the court may order a public or private sale of the lands of the ward or an interest in the same, or such part thereof as the court deems necessary, and shall furnish the guardian with a certified copy of its order.
(5) If the court directs a public sale, the order shall designate the mode of giving notice of the time and place thereof, and the sale shall be in the town where the lands lie.
(6) The order of sale shall state that the requisites mentioned in subdivisions (1)-(3) of this section have been complied with. A copy thereof shall be recorded, previous to the sale, in the office where a deed of such lands is required to be recorded. (Amended 1985, No. 144 (Adj. Sess.), § 138; 2009, No. 154 (Adj. Sess.), § 238a, eff. Feb. 1, 2011.)