The Vermont Statutes Online
NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.
NOTE: The online version of the Vermont Statutes does NOT yet include the actions of the 2023 legislative session. The 2023 updates should be available by the end of October.
Subchapter 002 : PERSONS FOR WHOM GUARDIANS APPOINTED(Cite as: 14 V.S.A. § 2663)
§ 2663. Parent of the minor; rights and obligations; support
(a) While a permanent guardianship is in effect, the parent shall have the following rights:
(1) Visitation, contact and information to the extent delineated in the order issued by the family division of the superior court. The family division of the superior court shall issue an order regarding visitation, contact and information based on the best interests of the child. The order may prohibit visitation, contact and information. The order may incorporate an agreement reached among the parties.
(2) Inheritance by and from the child.
(3) Right to consent to adoption of the child.
(b) After the court has issued a final order establishing permanent guardianship, the parent shall have no right to seek termination of the guardianship order. The parent may seek only enforcement or modification of an order of visitation, contact or information.
(c) The parent shall have the primary responsibility to support the child.
(1) In the event the income and assets of the parent qualify the child for governmental benefits, the benefits may be conferred upon the child with payment to be made to the permanent guardian. The provision of necessities by the permanent guardian shall not disqualify the child for any benefit or entitlement.
(2) If the child has been in the custody of the Commissioner for Children and Families immediately prior to the creation of the guardianship, the Commissioner shall have no further duty of support or care for the child after the establishment of the permanent guardianship unless the family is eligible for kinship guardianship assistance provided for in 33 V.S.A. § 4903 or the Commissioner contractually agrees in writing to that support. (Added 1999, No. 162 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; amended 2009, No. 97 (Adj. Sess.), § 5; 2009, No. 154 (Adj. Sess.), § 238.)