The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 003 : SEX OFFENDER REGISTRATION; LAW ENFORCEMENT NOTIFICATION(Cite as: 13 V.S.A. § 5402)
§ 5402. Sex Offender Registry
(a) The Department of Public Safety shall establish and maintain a Sex Offender Registry, that shall consist of the information required to be filed under this subchapter.
(b) All information contained in the Registry may be disclosed for any purpose permitted under the law of this State, including use by:
(1) local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies exclusively for lawful law enforcement activities;
(2) state and federal governmental agencies for the exclusive purpose of conducting confidential background checks;
(3) any employer, including a school district, who is authorized by law to request records and information from the Vermont Criminal Information Center, where such disclosure is necessary to protect the public concerning persons required to register under this subchapter. The identity of a victim of an offense that requires registration shall not be released;
(4) a person identified as a sex offender in the Registry for the purpose of reviewing the accuracy of any record relating to him or her. The identity of a victim of an offense that requires registration shall not be released; and
(5) probate courts for purposes of conducting checks on persons applying for changes of name under 15 V.S.A. § 811.
(c) The Departments of Corrections and of Public Safety shall adopt rules, forms and procedures under 3 V.S.A. chapter 25 to implement the provisions of this subchapter. (Added 1995, No. 124 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1996; amended 1999, No. 152 (Adj. Sess.), § 78a, eff. May 29, 2000; 2001, No. 49, § 3, eff. Sept. 1, 2001; 2009, No. 58, § 13.)