The Vermont Statutes Online
Title 13 : Crimes and Criminal Procedure
Chapter 063 : OBSCENITY(Cite as: 13 V.S.A. § 2802b)
§ 2802b. Minor electronically disseminating indecent material to another person
(a)(1) No minor shall knowingly and voluntarily and without threat or coercion use a computer or electronic communication device to transmit an indecent visual depiction of himself or herself to another person.
(2) No person shall possess a visual depiction transmitted to the person in violation of subdivision (1) of this subsection. It shall not be a violation of this subdivision if the person took reasonable steps, whether successful or not, to destroy or eliminate the visual depiction.
(b) Penalties; minors.
(1) Except as provided in subdivision (3) of this subsection, a minor who violates subsection (a) of this section shall be adjudicated delinquent. An action brought under this subdivision (1) shall be filed in family court and treated as a juvenile proceeding pursuant to 33 V.S.A. chapter 52, and may be referred to the juvenile diversion program of the district in which the action is filed.
(2) A minor who violates subsection (a) of this section and who has not previously been adjudicated in violation of that section shall not be prosecuted under chapter 64 of this title (sexual exploitation of children), and shall not be subject to the requirements of chapter 167, subchapter 3 of this title (sex offender registration).
(3) A minor who violates subsection (a) of this section who has previously been adjudicated in violation of that section may be adjudicated in family court as under subdivision (b)(1) of this section or prosecuted in district court under chapter 64 of this title (sexual exploitation of children), but shall not be subject to the requirements of chapter 167, subchapter 3 of this title (sex offender registration).
(4) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the records of a minor who is adjudicated delinquent under this section shall be expunged when the minor reaches 18 years of age.
(c) Penalties; adults. A person 18 years of age or older who violates subdivision (a)(2) of this section shall be fined not more than $300.00 or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.
(d) This section shall not be construed to prohibit a prosecution under section 1027 (disturbing the peace by use of telephone or electronic communication), 2601 (lewd and lascivious conduct), 2605 (voyeurism), or 2632 (prohibited acts) of this title, or any other applicable provision of law. (Added 2009, No. 58, § 4.)