The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 007 : Transportation of Animals(Cite as: 13 V.S.A. § 387)
§ 387. Transportation of horses; vehicles
(a) Every vehicle utilized for the transportation of more than seven horses on the highway shall meet the following requirements:
(1) there shall be at least two doors for loading and unloading, which shall not be on the same side;
(2) loading ramps shall be provided if the vertical distance from the floor of the truck to the ground is greater than 15 inches;
(3) the interior compartment construction shall be of smooth material with no hazardous, sharp protrusions;
(4) there shall be sufficient openings to ensure adequacy of ventilation;
(5) partitions shall be placed in compartments having no stalls;
(6) doorways shall be of sufficient height to allow safe loading and unloading; and
(7) compartment height shall be sufficient to allow clearance of the poll and withers of each horse loaded.
(b) Vehicles under this section shall have no more than one tier in compartments carrying horses.
(c) The Secretary shall establish rules for compliance with the provisions of this subchapter.
(d) Failure to comply with this section, or the rules established thereunder, is a violation of subdivision 352(3) of this title. (Added 1989, No. 270 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; amended 2003, No. 42, § 2, eff. May 27, 2003; 2003, No. 120 (Adj. Sess.), § 13.)