The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 003 : GENERAL PROVISIONS(Cite as: 13 V.S.A. § 364)
§ 364. Animal fights
(a) A person who participates in a fighting exhibition of animals shall be in violation of subdivisions 352(5) and (6) of this title.
(b) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, in addition to seizure of fighting birds or animals involved in a fighting exhibition, a law enforcement officer or humane officer may seize:
(1) any equipment associated with that activity;
(2) any other personal property which is used to engage in a violation or further a violation of subdivisions 352(5) and (6) of this title; and
(3) monies, securities, or other things of value furnished or intended to be furnished by a person to engage in or further a violation of subdivisions 352(5) and (6) of this title.
(c) In addition to the imposition of a penalty under this chapter, conviction under this section shall result in forfeiture of all seized fighting animals, equipment, and other property subject to seizure under this section. The animals may be destroyed humanely or otherwise disposed of as directed by the court.
(d) Property subject to forfeiture under this subsection may be seized upon process issued by the court having jurisdiction over the property. Seizure without process may be made:
(1) incident to a lawful arrest;
(2) pursuant to a search warrant; or
(3) if there is probable cause to believe that the property was used or is intended to be used in violation of this section.
(e) Forfeiture proceedings instituted pursuant to the provisions of this section for property other than animals are subject to the procedures and requirements for forfeiture as set forth in 18 V.S.A. chapter 84, subchapter 2. (Added 1989, No. 270, (Adj. Sess.), § 2; amended 2015, No. 53, § 2.)