The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 004 : Paint Stewardship Program(Cite as: 10 V.S.A. § 6672)
§ 6672. Definitions
As used in this subchapter:
(1) "Architectural paint" means interior and exterior architectural coatings, including interior or exterior water- and oil-based coatings, primers, sealers, or wood coatings, that are sold in containers of five gallons or less. "Architectural paint" does not mean industrial coatings, original equipment coatings, or specialty coatings.
(2) "Distributor" means a company that has a contractual relationship with one or more producers to market and sell architectural paint to retailers in Vermont.
(3) "Energy recovery" means recovery in which all or a part of the solid waste materials are processed in order to use the heat content or other forms of energy of or from the material.
(4) "Environmentally sound management practices" means policies to be implemented by a producer or a stewardship organization to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and also addressing such issues as adequate record keeping, tracking and documenting the fate of materials within the State and beyond, and adequate environmental liability coverage for professional services and for the operations of the contractors working on behalf of the producer organization.
(5) "Municipality" means a city, town, or a village.
(6) "Paint stewardship assessment" means a one-time charge that is:
(A) added to the purchase price of architectural paint sold in Vermont;
(B) passed from the producer to the wholesale purchaser to the retailer and then to a retail consumer; and
(C) necessary to cover the cost of collecting, transporting, and processing the postconsumer paint managed through the statewide Program.
(7) "Postconsumer paint" means architectural paint and its containers not used and no longer wanted by a purchaser.
(8) "Producer" means a manufacturer of architectural paint who sells, offers for sale, or distributes that paint in Vermont under the producer's own name or brand.
(9) "Recycling" means any process by which discarded products, components, and by-products are transformed into new usable or marketable materials in a manner in which the original products may lose their identity but does not include energy recovery or energy generation by means of combusting discarded products, components, and by-products with or without other waste products.
(10) "Retailer" means any person that offers architectural paint for sale at retail in Vermont.
(11) "Reuse" means the return of a product into the economic stream for use in the same kind of application as originally intended, without a change in the product's identity.
(12) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Natural Resources.
(13) "Sell" or "sale" means any transfer of title for consideration, including remote sales conducted through sales outlets, catalogues, or the Internet or any other similar electronic means.
(14) "Stewardship organization" means a nonprofit corporation or nonprofit organization created by a producer or group of producers to implement the Paint Stewardship Program required under this subchapter. (Added 2013, No. 58, § 1, eff. June 3, 2013.)