The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 001 : General Provisions(Cite as: 10 V.S.A. § 6605j)
§ 6605j. Accepted composting practices
(a) The Secretary, in consultation with the Secretary of Agriculture, Food and Markets, shall adopt by rule, pursuant to 3 V.S.A. chapter 25, and shall implement and enforce accepted composting practices for the management of composting in the State. These accepted composting practices shall address:
(1) standards for the construction, alteration, or operation of a composting facility;
(2) standards for facility operation, including acceptable quantities of product or inputs, vector management, odors, noise, traffic, litter control, contaminant management, operator training and qualifications, recordkeeping, and reporting;
(3) standards for siting of composting facilities, including siting and operation of compost storage areas, compost bagging areas, and roads and parking areas;
(4) standards for the composting process, including rotation, management of compost piles, compost pile size, and monitoring of compost operations;
(5) standards for management of runoff from compost facilities, including liquids management from the feedstock area, active composting areas, curing area, and compost storage area; the use of swales or stormwater management around or within a compost facility; vegetative buffer requirements; and run-off management from tipping areas;
(6) specified areas of the State unsuitable for the siting of commercial composting that utilizes post-consumer food residuals or animal mortalities, such as designated downtowns, village centers, village growth areas, or areas of existing residential density; and
(7) definitions of "small-scale composting facility," "medium-scale composting facility," and "de minimis composting exempt from regulation."
(b) A person operating a small scale composting facility or operating a composting facility on a farm who follows the accepted composting practices shall not be required to obtain a discharge permit under section 1263 or 1264 of this title, a solid waste facility certification under chapter 159 of this title, or an air emissions permit under chapter 23 of this title unless a permit is required by federal law or the Secretary of Natural Resources determines that a permit is necessary to protect public health or the environment.
(c) The Secretary of Natural Resources shall coordinate with the Secretary of Agriculture, Food and Markets in implementing and enforcing the accepted composting practices. The Secretary of Agriculture, Food and Markets and the Secretary of Natural Resources may, after opportunity for public review and comment, develop a memorandum of understanding for implementation and enforcement of the accepted composting practices. (Added 2009, No. 41, § 3.)