The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 002 : PERMITS AND RULES(Cite as: 10 V.S.A. § 6237)
§ 6237. Evictions
(a) A leaseholder may be evicted only for nonpayment of rent or for a substantial violation of the lease terms of the mobile home park, or if there is a change in use of the park land or parts thereof or a termination of the mobile home park, and only in accordance with the following procedure:
(1) A leaseholder shall not be evicted by force or any other self-help measure.
(2) Prior to the commencement of any eviction proceeding, the park owner shall notify the leaseholder by certified or registered mail, except as provided in subdivision (3) of this subsection:
(A) of the grounds for an eviction proceeding;
(B) that an eviction proceeding may be commenced if the leaseholder does not pay the overdue rent within 20 days from the date of the mailing of the notice.
(3) A substantial violation of the lease terms of the mobile home park or an additional nonpayment of rent occurring within six months of the giving of the notice referred to in subdivision (2) of this subsection may result in immediate eviction proceedings.
(4) A substantial violation of the lease terms, other than an uncured nonpayment of rent, will be insufficient to support a judgment of eviction unless the proceeding is commenced within 60 days of the last alleged violation. A substantial violation of the lease terms based upon criminal activity will be insufficient to support a judgment of eviction unless the proceeding is commenced no later than 60 days after arraignment.
(b) A leaseholder shall not be evicted when there is proof that the lease terms the leaseholder has been accused of violating are not enforced with respect to the other leaseholders or others on the park premises.
(c) A sale or change in the form of ownership of the mobile home park shall not be grounds for eviction.
(d) This section shall apply only to evictions undertaken by the park owner. Evictions of a mobile home resident by a mobile home owner who is not the park owner shall be governed by 9 V.S.A. § 4467.
(e) A judgment order of eviction pursuant to this section shall provide that a leaseholder shall sell a mobile home or remove a mobile home from the mobile home park:
(1) within three months from the date of execution of a writ of possession pursuant to 12 V.S.A. chapter 169; or
(2) within another period ordered by the court in its discretion.
(f) A leaseholder evicted pursuant to this section shall continue to be responsible for lot rent that accrues until the mobile home is sold or removed from the mobile home park.
(g) A park owner shall serve notice of eviction proceedings pursuant to this section and 12 V.S.A. chapter 169 to the leaseholder and to any occupants known to the park owner residing in the mobile home. (Added 1973, No. 264 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; amended 1987, No. 252 (Adj. Sess.), § 5, eff. Aug. 1, 1988; 1989, No. 229 (Adj. Sess.), § 9; 1993, No. 141 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. May 6, 1994; 2003, No. 104 (Adj. Sess.), § 8; 2007, No. 176 (Adj. Sess.), § 58; 2011, No. 137 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. May 14, 2012; 2015, No. 8, § 3.)