The Vermont Statutes Online
The Vermont Statutes Online have been updated to include the actions of the 2023 session of the General Assembly.
NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.
Subchapter 005 : Transportation Impact Fees(Cite as: 10 V.S.A. § 6102)
§ 6102. Definitions
As used in this subchapter:
(1) “Agency” means the Agency of Transportation.
(2) “Capacity” means each of the following:
(A) the number of vehicles per hour accommodated by transportation infrastructure;
(B) the ability of transportation infrastructure to provide connectivity for pedestrians and cyclists; and
(C) the number of people that can be accommodated by bus at levels of service specified for each mode of travel.
(3) “Capital Transportation Program” means the multiyear transportation program under 19 V.S.A. § 10g as established each year by the General Assembly.
(4) “Capital transportation project” means:
(A) a physical improvement to the State transportation system or to a municipal highway, right-of-way, or transportation facility; and
(B) a study or survey requested or commissioned by a District Commission or the Agency relating to any physical improvement of one or more of the following:
(i) the State transportation system; and
(ii) a municipal highway, right-of-way, or transportation improvement or facility.
(5) “District Commission” shall have the same meaning as under section 6001 of this title except that the term also shall include the Board in exercising its authority to make findings of fact and conclusions of law.
(6) “Land use project” means any activity requiring a permit under this chapter or 19 V.S.A. § 1111.
(7) “Municipality” means a city, town, incorporated village, or unorganized town or gore.
(8) “Pass-by trips” means traffic that is present on a roadway adjacent to a land use project for reasons other than accessing the project and that enters the project.
(9) “Regional planning commission” shall have the same meaning as under 24 V.S.A. § 4303.
(10) “Secretary” means the Secretary of Transportation or designee.
(11) “State transportation system” means the highways, rights-of-way, and transportation facilities under the jurisdiction of the Agency or any other agency of the State and does not include highways, rights-of-way, and transportation facilities under the jurisdiction of a municipality.
(12) “Transportation Demand Management” or “TDM” means measures that reduce vehicle trips or redistribute vehicle trips to non-peak times or other areas. Examples include telecommuting, incentives to carpool or ride public transit, and staggered work shifts.
(13) “Transportation impact fee” means a fee that is assessed to a land use project as a condition of a permit issued under this chapter or a State highway access permit under 19 V.S.A. § 1111 and is used to support any portion of the costs of a completed or planned capital transportation project that will benefit or is attributable to the land use project.
(14) “Transportation Improvement District” or “TID” means a discrete geographic area that includes and will benefit from one or more capital transportation projects included in the Capital Transportation Program and for which the Agency has established a transportation impact fee under this subchapter.
(15) “Vehicle trips” means the number of trips by motorized conveyance generated by a proposed land use project measured at a specific place and for a specific duration. The ownership of and number of persons within the conveyance shall be irrelevant. (Added 2013, No. 145 (Adj. Sess.), § 2.)