The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 001 : General Provisions(Cite as: 10 V.S.A. § 2605)
§ 2605. Governor's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports
(a) The Governor's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports is created within the Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation, to be composed of 20 members with appropriate interests and representing the various geographical areas of the State. The members shall be appointed by the Governor for staggered terms of two years expiring on March 31 in the appropriate year. The Governor may reappoint any person who has served or is serving as a member of the Council. The Governor shall appoint a member of the Council to serve as chair, and the Council shall elect other officers as needed. The Council shall meet annually and at the call of the Chair.
(b) In order to promote physical fitness, the Council shall have the responsibility to:
(1) develop, foster, and coordinate services and programs of physical fitness for the people of Vermont;
(2) sponsor physical fitness and sports workshops, clinics, conferences, and other similar activities;
(3) give recognition to outstanding developments and achievements in, and contributions to, physical fitness and sports;
(4) stimulate physical fitness research;
(5) collect and disseminate physical fitness and sports information and initiate advertising campaigns promoting physical fitness and sports;
(6) upon request assist schools to develop health and physical fitness programs for students;
(7) encourage local governments and communities to develop local physical fitness programs;
(8) encourage the private sector to develop programs for promotion of personal health and physical fitness;
(9) enlist the support of individuals, civic groups, amateur professional sports associations, and other organizations to promote and improve physical fitness and sports programs;
(10) promote the development of a program of statewide amateur athletic competition to be known as the Green Mountain State Games. The Games shall be designed to encourage the participation of athletes representing a broad range of age groups, skill levels, and Vermont communities in a variety of activities. Participants shall be residents of this State. Regional competitions shall be held throughout the State, and the top qualifiers in each sport shall proceed to the final competitions to be held at a site in the State with the necessary facilities and equipment for conducting the competitions. The frequency of the Games shall be determined by the Council.
(c) The Council may accept grants, gifts, and bequests and enter into contracts to carry out the purposes of this section. (Added 1985, No. 173 (Adj. Sess.), § 1.)