The Vermont Statutes Online
NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.
NOTE: The online version of the Vermont Statutes does NOT yet include the actions of the 2023 legislative session. The 2023 updates should be available by the end of October.
§ 1685. Public water system capacity
The Secretary, by rule, shall establish standards and requirements for implementing a public water system capacity program for community water systems and nontransient, noncommunity water systems. The program shall place particular emphasis on addressing the problems and capital needs facing the State’s small, rural community water systems and public water systems operated by school districts. The program may include the following measures to improve public water system infrastructure and to provide safe drinking water to small community water systems and schools:
(1) source water protection programs;
(2) capital improvement planning;
(3) minimum design and construction standards;
(4) operation and management practices;
(5) development of a program to assess the capacity of public water systems in order to prevent formation of new systems lacking capacity; to assess existing system capacity; and to promote restructuring of systems lacking capacity; and
(6) to the extent it is consistent with federal law, preference in providing State financial and technical assistance to small systems whose water supply is contaminated or threatened by contamination or who fail to comply with State drinking water standards. (Added 1997, No. 134 (Adj. Sess.), § 12.)