The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 1452. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Agency" means the Agency of Natural Resources.
(2) "Aquatic nuisance" means undesirable or excessive substances or populations that interfere with the recreational potential or aquatic habitat of a body of water, including rooted aquatic plants and animal and algal populations. Aquatic nuisances include zebra mussels (Dreissena polymorpha), quagga mussels (Dreissena bugensis), Asian clam (Corbicula fluminea), fishhook waterflea (Cercopagis pengoi), rusty crayfish (Orconectes rusticus), spiny waterflea (Bythotrephes longimanus), or other species identified by the Secretary by rule.
(3) "Aquatic plant" means a plant that naturally grows in water, saturated soils, or seasonally saturated soils, including algae and submerged, floating-leafed, floating, or emergent plants.
(4) "Biological controls" means multi-cellular organisms.
(6) "Lessee" means a person who acquires the right to occupancy or use of property under a lease or rental agreement.
(7) "New aquatic species" means an aquatic species that was not known to occur in a surface water of Vermont or in a segment of Lake Champlain as of January 1, 2007.
(8) "Pesticide" means any substance produced, distributed, or used for preventing, destroying, or repelling nuisance aquatic plants, insects, or other aquatic life, including lamprey. Pesticide includes unicellular organisms or extracts from unicellular organisms and does not include biological controls.
(9) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Natural Resources.
(10) "Water resources" means the waters and the values inherent or potential in waters and their uses.
(11) "Waters" means all rivers, streams, creeks, brooks, reservoirs, ponds, lakes, and springs and all bodies of surface waters, artificial or natural, that are contained within, flow through, or border upon the State or any portion of it.
(12) "Baitbox" means a receptacle, not exceeding 25 cubic feet in volume, used for holding or keeping baitfish alive for personal use.
(13) "Live well" means a well for keeping fish alive in a vessel by allowing water to circulate through the well.
(14) "Ballast tank" means any tank or hold on a vessel used for carrying ballast water, whether or not the tank or hold was designed for that purpose.
(15) "Bilge area" means the lowest point in the vessel where water can collect when the vessel is in its static floating position.
(16) "Decontaminate" means a process used to kill, destroy, or remove aquatic nuisance species and other organic material that may be present in or on a vessel, motor vehicle transporting the vessel, trailer, or other equipment. Decontamination may include washing a vessel, motor vehicle transporting the vessel, trailer, or other equipment with water at a sufficiently high temperature to kill or remove aquatic nuisance species.
(17) "Lake association" means a lake protection organization registered with the Secretary of Natural Resources on a form provided by the Secretary.
(18) "Marina" means a property, other than a public access or landing area regulated under section 4145 of this title, on the shoreline of a water of the State that contains a dock, basin, or ramp that, at no cost or for remuneration, provides to the public secure moorings or vessel access to the water.
(19) "Motor vehicle" means any vehicle propelled or drawn by power other than muscular power, including a snowmobile, motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle, farm tractor, or tracked vehicle.
(20) "Personal watercraft" shall have the same meaning as set forth in 23 V.S.A. § 3302.
(21) "Transport" means to move motor vehicles, vessels, personal watercraft, seaplanes, trailers, and other equipment over land, but does not include movement within the immediate area required for loading and preparing vehicles, vessels, personal watercraft, seaplanes, trailers, and other equipment prior to movement into or away from a body of water.
(22) "Vessel" means every description of watercraft used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water, including personal watercraft. (Added 2009, No. 46, § 1, eff. July 1, 2010; 2017, No. 67, § 1, eff. June 8, 2017.)