The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 1448. Municipal delegation
(a) Municipal shoreland bylaws or ordinances. The Secretary shall delegate authority to permit the construction, creation, or expansion of impervious surface or cleared area under this chapter to a municipality that has adopted a shoreland bylaw or ordinance if:
(1) the municipality adopts a bylaw or ordinance regulating construction of impervious surface or creation of cleared area in a protected shoreland area;
(2) the municipal bylaw or ordinance is, as determined by the Secretary, functionally equivalent to the requirements under sections 1444, 1445, 1446, and 1447 of this title; and
(3) the Secretary determines that the municipality provides adequate resources for administration and enforcement of the bylaw or ordinance.
(b) Delegation agreement.
(1) Delegation under subsection (a) of this section shall be by agreement between the Secretary and the delegated municipality. The delegation agreement shall set the terms for revocation of delegation.
(2) Under the delegation agreement, the Secretary and the municipality may agree, in instances where a delegated municipality does not or cannot address noncompliance, that the Secretary, after consultation with the municipality, may institute enforcement proceedings under chapter 201 of this title.
(3) The delegation agreement shall require the municipality to:
(A) have or establish a process for accepting, reviewing, and processing applications and issuing permits for construction of impervious surface or creation of cleared area in protected shoreland areas;
(B) take timely and appropriate enforcement actions;
(C) commit to reporting annually to the Secretary on a form and date determined by the Secretary;
(D) comply with all other requirements of the rules adopted under this chapter; and
(E) cure any defects in such bylaw or ordinance or in the administration or enforcement of such bylaw or ordinance upon notice of a defect from the Secretary.
(4) A municipality that seeks delegation under subsection (a) of this section shall be presumed to satisfy the requirements of this subsection for a permit process and enforcement if the municipality has designated a municipal zoning administrator or other municipal employee or official as responsible for the permitting and enforcement of the construction, creation, or expansion of impervious surface or cleared area within the municipality. (Added 2013, No. 172 (Adj. Sess.), § 2.)