The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 002 : General(Cite as: 10 V.S.A. § 1392)
§ 1392. Duties; powers of Secretary
(a) The Secretary shall develop a comprehensive groundwater management program to protect the quality of groundwater resources by:
(1) developing a strategy for the management and protection of the State's groundwater resources;
(2) continuing studies and investigations of groundwater in the State;
(3) cooperating with other government agencies in collecting and compiling data on the quantity and quality of groundwater and location of aquifers;
(4) identifying and mapping groundwater currently used as public water supply sources and groundwater determined by the Secretary as potential future public water supply sources;
(5) providing technical assistance to municipal officials and other public bodies in the development of regional or municipal plans or bylaws, the purpose of which is the protection of groundwater resources;
(6) classifying groundwater resources according to the provisions of this chapter and adopting technical criteria and standards for the management of activities that may pose a risk to their beneficial uses;
(7) integrating the groundwater management strategy with other regulatory programs administered by the Secretary;
(8) developing public information and education materials; and
(9) cooperating with federal agencies in the development of programs for protecting the quality and quantity of the groundwater resources.
(b) The Secretary is authorized to accept and administer grants for groundwater management purposes in accord with the administrative procedures of the State.
(c)(1) The Secretary shall establish a groundwater coordinating committee, with representation from the Division of Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection within the Department, the Division of Geology and Mineral Resources within the Department, the Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets, and the Departments of Forests, Parks and Recreation and of Health to provide advice in the development of the program and its implementation, on issues concerning groundwater quality and quantity, and on groundwater issues relevant to well-drilling activities and the licensure of well drillers.
(2) In carrying out his or her duties under this subchapter, the Secretary shall give due consideration to the recommendations of the Groundwater Coordinating Committee.
(3) The Secretary may request representatives of other agencies and the private sector, including licensed well drillers, to serve on the Groundwater Coordinating Committee.
(d) The groundwater management strategy, including groundwater classification and associated technical criteria and standards, shall be adopted as a rule in accordance with the provisions of 3 V.S.A. chapter 25.
(e) [Repealed.] (Added 1985, No. 53, § 1; amended 1989, No. 256 (Adj. Sess.), § 10(a), eff. Jan. 1, 1991; 1995, No. 189 (Adj. Sess.), § 3; 2003, No. 115 (Adj. Sess.), § 32, eff. Jan. 31, 2005; 2017, No. 55, § 7, eff. June 2, 2017; 2018, No. 2 (Sp. Sess.), § 1.)