The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 001 : POLICY; DEFINITIONS(Cite as: 10 V.S.A. § 1391)
§ 1391. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Abandoned well" means any well or hole whose original purpose and use has been permanently discontinued or that is in such a state of disrepair that the well or hole has the potential for transmitting contaminants into an aquifer or otherwise threatens the public health or safety.
(2) "Agency" means the Agency of Natural Resources.
(3) "Aquifer" means a water bearing stratum of permeable rock, sand, gravel, or other alluvial soils.
(4) "Beneficial uses" means those uses included in each groundwater class.
(5) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of Environmental Conservation or the Commissioner's designated representative.
(6) "Department" means the Department of Environmental Conservation.
(7) "Groundwater" means water below the land surface, but does not include surface waters within the meaning of subdivision 1251(13) of this title.
(8) "Hole" means any excavation, deeper than 20 feet with at least one horizontal dimension less than five feet.
(9) "Public water supply" means a water supply system with 15 or more connections.
(10) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Natural Resources or the Secretary's designated representative.
(11) "Servicing" means developing of well yields, placing liners or seals, grouting, restricting the flow of flowing wells, repairing or closing wells, and installing or maintaining well pump systems. "Servicing" does not include work performed on monitoring wells.
(12) "Technical criteria" means the numerical parameters or scientific parameters that, when followed, will result in groundwater suitable for the uses defined in its class.
(13) "Well" means any hole deeper than 20 feet drilled, driven, or bored into the earth to locate, monitor, extract, or recharge groundwater or any hole deeper than 20 feet drilled, driven, or bored for the primary purpose of transferring heat to or from the earth's subsurface.
(14) "Well contractor" means any person who constructs or services wells. (Added 1985, No. 53, § 1; amended 1987, No. 76, § 18; 1989, No. 201 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 2015, No. 97 (Adj. Sess.), § 21.)