The Vermont Statutes Online
The Vermont Statutes Online have been updated to include the actions of the 2023 session of the General Assembly.
NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.
Subchapter 001 : General(Cite as: 9 V.S.A. § 4452)
§ 4452. Exclusions
Unless created to avoid the application of this chapter, this chapter does not apply to any of the following:
(1) occupancy at a public or private institution, operated for the purpose of providing medical, geriatric, educational, counseling, religious, or similar service;
(2) occupancy under a contract of sale of a dwelling unit or the property of which it is a part, if the occupant is the purchaser or a person who succeeds to the interest of the purchaser;
(3) occupancy by a member of a fraternal, social, or religious organization in the portion of a building operated for the benefit of the organization;
(4) transient occupancy in a hotel, motel, or lodgings during the time the occupancy is subject to a tax levied under 32 V.S.A. chapter 225;
(5) occupancy by the owner of a condominium unit or the holder of a proprietary lease in a cooperative;
(6) rental of a mobile home lot governed by 10 V.S.A. chapter 153;
(7) transient residence in a campground, which for the purposes of this chapter means any property used for seasonal or short-term vacation or recreational purposes on which are located cabins, tents, or lean-tos, or campsites designed for temporary set-up of portable or mobile camping, recreational, or travel dwelling units, including tents, campers, and recreational vehicles such as motor homes, travel trailers, truck campers, and van campers;
(8) transient occupancy in a hotel, motel, or lodgings during the time the occupant is a recipient of General Assistance or Emergency Assistance temporary housing assistance, or occupancy in a hotel or motel funded by federal Emergency Rental Assistance administered by the Department for Children and Families through September 30, 2025, regardless of whether the occupancy is subject to a tax levied under 32 V.S.A. chapter 225;
(9) occupancy of a dwelling unit without right or permission by a person who is not a tenant; or
(10) transient occupancy by an occupant placed in a hotel, motel, or lodgings in connection with health care treatment or recovery, where the occupancy is paid for by a hospital as licensed in 18 V.S.A. chapter 43, an agency designated pursuant to 18 V.S.A. § 8907, or a specialized service agency operating under an agreement entered into pursuant to 18 V.S.A. § 8912, regardless of whether the occupant is subject to a tax levied under 32 V.S.A. chapter 225. (Added 1985, No. 175 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 1987, No. 116, § 1; 1987, No. 252 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 2007, No. 196 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 2015, No. 58, § E.321.3; 2015, No. 126 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; 2019, No. 177 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. October. 12, 2020; 2021, No. 83 (Adj. Sess.), § 54a, eff. March 16, 2022.)