The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 4185. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Computer script" means a list of commands that can be executed by a program, scripting engine, or similar mechanism that a fantasy sports player can use to automate participation in a fantasy sports contest.
(2) "Confidential fantasy sports contest information" means nonpublic information available to a fantasy sports operator that relates to a fantasy sports player's activity in a fantasy sports contest and that, if disclosed, may give another fantasy sports player an unfair competitive advantage in a fantasy sports contest.
(3) "Fantasy sports contest" means a virtual or simulated sporting event governed by a uniform set of rules adopted by a fantasy sports operator in which:
(A) a fantasy sports player may earn one or more cash prizes or awards, the value of which a fantasy sports operator discloses in advance of the contest;
(B) a fantasy sports player uses his or her knowledge and skill of sports data, performance, and statistics to create and manage a fantasy sports team;
(C) a fantasy sports team earns fantasy points based on the sports performance statistics accrued by individual athletes or teams, or both, in real world sporting events;
(D) the outcome is determined by the number of fantasy points earned; and
(E) the outcome is not determined by the score, the point spread, the performance of one or more teams, or the performance of an individual athlete in a single real world sporting event.
(4) "Fantasy sports operator" means a person that offers to members of the public the opportunity to participate in a fantasy sports contest for consideration.
(5) "Fantasy sports player" means an individual who participates in a fantasy sports contest for consideration.
(6) "Location percentage" mean the percentage, rounded to the nearest tenth of a percent, of the total of all entry fees collected from fantasy sports players located in Vermont, divided by the total entry fees collected from all fantasy sports players in fantasy sports contests.
(7) "Net fantasy sports contest revenues" means the amount equal to the total of all entry fees that a fantasy sports operator collects from all fantasy sports players, less the total of all sums paid out as winnings to all fantasy sports players, multiplied by the location percentage for Vermont. (Added 2017, No. 70, § 5, eff. Jan. 1, 2018.)