The Vermont Statutes Online
The statutes were updated in November, 2018, and contain all actions of the
2018 legislative session.
Subchapter 001D : THIRD-PARTY DISCOUNT MEMBERSHIP PROGRAMS(Cite as: 9 V.S.A. § 2470dd)
§ 2470dd. Periodic notices
(a) A person who periodically charges a consumer for a third-party discount membership program shall send the consumer a notice of the charge no less frequently than every three months from the date of initial enrollment that clearly and conspicuously discloses:
(1) a description of the program;
(2) the name of the third-party discount membership program and the name and address of the seller of the program;
(3) the cost of the program, including the amount of any periodic charges, how often such charges are imposed, and the method of payment;
(4) the right to cancel and to terminate the program, which shall be no more restrictive than as required by section 2470ee of this subchapter, and a toll-free number and e-mail address that can be used to cancel the membership; and
(5) the maximum length of membership, as described in section 2470ff of this subchapter.
(b) The notice specified in subsection (a) of this section:
(1) shall be sent:
(A) to the consumer's last known e-mail address, if the consumer enrolled in the third-party discount membership program online or by e-mail, with the subject line, "IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR DISCOUNT PROGRAM BILLING," or substantially similar words, provided that the sender takes reasonable steps to verify that the e-mail has been opened; or
(B) otherwise by first-class mail to the consumer's last known mailing address, with the heading on the enclosure and outside envelope, "IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR DISCOUNT PROGRAM BILLING," or substantially similar words; and
(2) shall not include any solicitation or advertising. (Added 2011, No. 109 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. May 8, 2012; amended 2015, No. 128 (Adj. Sess.), § E.1.)