The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 272. Scope
(a) Except as otherwise provided in subsections (b) and (c) of this section, this chapter applies to electronic records and electronic signatures relating to a transaction.
(b) This chapter does not apply to:
(1) a transaction to the extent it is governed by a law governing the creation and execution of wills, codicils, or testamentary trusts;
(2) a transaction to the extent it is governed by a state statute, regulation, or other rule of law governing adoption, divorce, or other matters of family law;
(3) a transaction to the extent it is governed by the Uniform Commercial Code, other than 9 V.S.A. §§ 1-107 and 1-206, Article 2, and Article 2A;
(4) court orders or notices, or official court documents, including briefs, pleadings, and other writings, required to be executed in connection with court proceedings; or
(5) any notice of:
(A) the cancellation or termination of utility services (including water, heat, and power);
(B) default, acceleration, repossession, foreclosure, or eviction, or the right to cure, under a credit agreement secured by, or a rental agreement for, a primary residence of an individual;
(C) the cancellation or termination of health insurance or benefits or life insurance benefits (excluding annuities);
(D) recall of a product, or material failure of a product, that risks endangering health or safety; or
(E) a right to cancel a home solicitation sale required pursuant to section 2454 of this title;
(6) any document required to accompany any transportation or handling of hazardous materials, pesticides, or other toxic or dangerous materials.
(c) This chapter applies to an electronic record or electronic signature otherwise excluded from the application of this chapter under subsection (b) of this section to the extent that it is governed by a law other than those specified in subsection (b).
(d) A transaction subject to this chapter is also subject to other applicable substantive law. (Added 2003, No. 44, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 2004.)