The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 002 : FINANCIAL PRIVACY(Cite as: 8 V.S.A. § 10202)
§ 10202. Definitions
As used in this subchapter:
(1) "Account verification service" means any person which, for monetary fees, dues, or on a cooperative nonprofit basis, regularly engages in whole or in part in the practice of:
(A) assembling information on the frequency and location of depository account openings or attempted openings by a consumer, or forced closings by a depository institution of accounts of a consumer; or
(B) authenticating or validating Social Security numbers or addresses for the purpose of reporting to third parties for use in fraud prevention. Mailing such information to a customer to the address provided by such customer shall not be prohibited by this subchapter.
(2) "Credit reporting agency" means any person who, for monetary fees, dues, or on a cooperative nonprofit basis, regularly engages in whole or in part in the practice of assembling or evaluating consumer credit information or other information on consumers for the purpose of reporting to third parties on the credit rating or creditworthiness of any consumer.
(3) "Customer" means, for purposes of this subchapter, any person who deposits, borrows, or invests with a financial institution, including a surety or a guarantor on a loan.
(4) "Financial information" means an original or copy of, or information derived from:
(A) a document that grants signature authority over a deposit or share account;
(B) a statement, ledger card, or other record of a deposit or share account that shows transactions in or with respect to that deposit or account;
(C) a check, clear draft, or money order that is drawn on a financial institution or issued and payable by or through a financial institution;
(D) any item, other than an institutional or periodic charge, that is made under an agreement between a financial institution and another person's deposit or share account;
(E) any information that relates to a loan account or an application for a loan; or
(F) evidence of a transaction conducted by electronic or telephonic means.
(5) "Financial institution" means a financial institution as defined in subdivision 11101(32) of this title, and a credit union, financial institution subsidiary, licensed lender, mortgage broker, or sales finance company organized or regulated under the laws of this State, the United States or any other state or territory.
(6) "Mercantile agency" means any person, which for monetary fees, dues, or on a cooperative nonprofit basis, regularly engages in whole or in part in the practice of assembling or evaluating business credit information or other information on businesses for the purpose of reporting to third parties on the credit rating or creditworthiness of any business. (Added 1999, No. 153 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. Jan. 1, 2001.)