The Vermont Statutes Online
The statutes were updated in November, 2018, and contain all actions of the
2018 legislative session.
Subchapter 004 : SERVICE CONTRACT COMPANIES(Cite as: 8 V.S.A. § 4247)
§ 4247. Definitions
As used in this subchapter:
(1) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of Financial Regulation.
(2) "Consumer" means a natural person who buys other than for purposes of resale any tangible personal property that is distributed in commerce and that is normally used for personal, family, or household purposes, and not for commercial purposes.
(3) "Service contract holder" means a person who is the purchaser or holder of a service contract.
(4) "Manufacturer" means a person that manufactures, produces, or markets goods and sells the goods under its own name or label; or manufactures or produces goods and the goods are sold under the trade name or label of another person.
(5) "Maintenance agreement" means a contract of limited duration that provides for scheduled maintenance only.
(6) "Mechanical breakdown insurance" means any policy, contract, or agreement issued by an authorized insurer that provides for the repair, replacement, or maintenance of property or indemnification for repair, replacement, or maintenance, for the operational or structural failure of the property due to a defect in materials or workmanship or due to normal wear and tear.
(7) "Provider" means a person who issues, makes, or provides a service contract, and who is contractually obligated to provide service under a service contract and is not the manufacturer.
(8) "Service contract" means any contract or agreement to perform or indemnify for a specific duration the repair, replacement, or maintenance of property for operational or structural failure due to a defect in materials, workmanship, or normal wear and tear, with or without additional provisions for incidental payment of indemnity under limited circumstances, including towing, rental, and emergency road service.
(9) "Service contract reimbursement policy" means a policy of insurance providing full reimbursement coverage for all obligations and liabilities under the terms of a service contract issued by the provider.
(10) "Warranty" means a warranty made solely by the manufacturer, importer, or seller of property or services, without charge, that is not negotiated or separated from the sale of the product and is incidental to the sale of the product, and that guarantees indemnity for defective parts, mechanical or electrical breakdown, labor, or other remedial measures, such as repair or replacement of the property or repetition of services. (Added 1997, No. 109 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. Sept. 1, 1998; amended 2011, No. 78 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. April 2, 2012.)