Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to subnav
Searching 2023-2024 Session

The Vermont Statutes Online


Title 8 : Banking and Insurance

Chapter 085 : LOAN SERVICERS

(Cite as: 8 V.S.A. § 2901)
  • § 2901. License required

    (a) No person shall act as a third party loan servicer, directly or indirectly, for a loan to a Vermont borrower without first obtaining a license under this chapter from the Commissioner.

    (b) No license shall be required of:

    (1) a depository institution;

    (2) a lender licensed under chapter 73 of this title that retains the servicing rights on a loan originally closed in the lender’s name and subsequently sold in whole or in part to a third party, provided that the provisions of sections 2916 (segregated accounts) and 2922 (prohibited acts and practices) of this title shall apply to such lender;

    (3) a debt adjuster licensed in this State;

    (4) an attorney licensed in this State when collecting a debt on behalf of a client; or

    (5) bona fide nonprofit organizations, exempt from taxation under Section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code, that are approved by the Department of Housing and Urban Development as housing counseling agencies, that have a physical location in Vermont, and that lend state or federal funds.

    (c) This chapter shall not apply to commercial loans. (Added 2009, No. 96 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 2011.)