Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to subnav
Searching 2023-2024 Session

The Vermont Statutes Online

The Vermont Statutes Online have been updated to include the actions of the 2023 session of the General Assembly.

NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.

Title 7 : Alcoholic Beverages, Cannabis, and Tobacco

Chapter 009 : Licensing


(Cite as: 7 V.S.A. § 214)
  • § 214. Proof of financial responsibility

    (a) Any first-, second-, or third-class licensee whose license is suspended by the local control commissioners or suspended or revoked by the Board of Liquor and Lottery for selling or furnishing alcoholic beverages to a minor, to a person apparently under the influence of alcohol, to a person after legal serving hours, or to a person who it would be reasonable to expect would be intoxicated as a result of the amount of alcoholic beverages served to that person shall be required to furnish to the Commissioner a certificate of financial responsibility within 60 days of the commencement of the suspension or revocation or at the time of reinstatement of the license, whichever is later. Financial responsibility may be established by any one or a combination of the following: insurance, surety bond, or letter of credit. Coverage shall be maintained at not less than $25,000.00 per occurrence and $50,000.00 aggregate per occurrence. Proof of financial responsibility shall be required for license renewal for the three years following the suspension or revocation.

    (b)(1) Proof of financial responsibility and completion of the licensee education program established in section 213 of this title shall be conditions for a licensee to be permitted to resume operation after a suspension or revocation for any of the reasons in subsection (a) of this section.

    (2) However, at the discretion of the suspending or revoking authority, the licensee may receive a provisional license prior to the time these conditions are met in order to allow for compliance with the education requirement or to obtain the certificate of financial responsibility. A provisional license may not be issued for a period exceeding 60 days. (Added 1987, No. 103, § 3; amended 2017, No. 83, § 33; 2018, No. 1 (Sp. Sess.), § 36.)