The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 010 : Enforcement(Cite as: 6 V.S.A. § 4993)
§ 4993. Administrative enforcement; cease and desist orders; emergency orders
(a) Notwithstanding the requirements of section 4992 of this title, the Secretary at any time may pursue one or more of the following enforcement actions:
(1) Issue a cease and desist order in accordance with the requirements of subsection (b) of this section to a person the Secretary believes to be in violation of the requirements of this chapter.
(2) Issue emergency administrative orders to protect water quality when an alleged violation, activity, or farm practice:
(A) presents an immediate threat of substantial harm to the environment or immediate threat to the public health or welfare;
(B) is likely to result in an immediate threat of substantial harm to the environment or immediate threat to the public health or welfare; or
(C) requires a permit or amendment to a permit issued under this chapter and a farm owner or operator has commenced an activity or is continuing an activity without a permit or permit amendment.
(3) Institute appropriate proceedings on behalf of the Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets to enforce the requirements of this chapter, rules adopted under this chapter, or a permit or certification issued under this chapter.
(4) Order mandatory corrective actions, including a requirement that the owner or operator of a farm sell or otherwise remove livestock from a farm or production area when the volume of waste produced by livestock on the farm exceeds the infrastructure capacity of the farm or the production area to manage the waste or waste leachate and prevent runoff or leaching of wastes to waters of the State or groundwater, as required by this chapter.
(5) Seek administrative or civil penalties in accordance with the requirements of section 15, 16, 17, or 4995 of this title. Notwithstanding the requirements of section 15 of this title to the contrary, the maximum administrative penalty issued by the Secretary under this section shall not exceed $5,000.00 for each violation, and the maximum amount of any administrative penalty assessed for separate and distinct violations of this chapter shall not exceed $50,000.00.
(b) A person may request that the Secretary hold a hearing on a cease and desist order or an emergency order issued under this section within five days of receipt of the order. Upon receipt of a request for a hearing, the Secretary promptly shall set a date and time for a hearing. A request for a hearing on a cease and desist order or emergency order issued under this section shall not stay the order. (Added 2015, No. 64, § 17.)