The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 001 : GENERAL PROVISIONS(Cite as: 6 V.S.A. § 4802)
§ 4802. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) “Agency” means the Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets.
(2) “Farming” has the same meaning as used in 10 V.S.A. § 6001(22).
(3) “Good standing” means a participant in a program administered under this chapter:
(A) does not have an active enforcement violation that has reached a final order with the Secretary; and
(B) is in compliance with all terms of a current grant agreement or contract with the Agency.
(4) “Healthy soil” means soil that has a well-developed, porous structure, is chemically balanced, supports diverse microbial communities, and has abundant organic matter.
(5) “Manure” means livestock waste in solid or liquid form that may also contain bedding, spilled feed, water, or soil.
(6) “Secretary” means the Secretary of Agriculture, Food and Markets.
(7) “Top of bank” means the point along the bank of a stream where an abrupt change in slope is evident, and where the stream is generally able to overflow the banks and enter the adjacent floodplain during an annual flood event. Annual flood event shall be determined according to the Agency of Natural Resources’ Flood Hazard Area and River Corridor Protection Procedure.
(8) “Waste” or “agricultural waste” means material originating or emanating from a farm or imported onto a farm that is determined by the Secretary or the Secretary of Natural Resources to be harmful to the waters of the State, including sediments; minerals, including heavy metals; plant nutrients; pesticides; organic wastes, including livestock waste, animal mortalities, compost, feed, and crop debris; waste oils; pathogenic bacteria and viruses; thermal pollution; silage runoff; untreated milk house waste; and any other farm waste as the term “waste” is defined in 10 V.S.A. § 1251(12).
(9) “Water” has the same meaning as used in 10 V.S.A. § 1251(13).
(10) “Agricultural activities” means the operation and management of an entity engaged in farming, including all those activities defined as “farming” in this chapter, “agricultural activity” in 12 V.S.A. § 5752, and all of the following:
(A) selling agricultural products at roadside stands or farm markets;
(B) the generation of noise, odors, dust, fumes, and other associated conditions;
(C) the composting of material principally produced by the farm or to be used at least in part on the farm;
(D) the ditching and subsurface drainage of farm fields and the construction of farm ponds;
(E) the handling of livestock wastes and by-products;
(F) the operation of farm machinery and equipment, including irrigation and drainage systems, pumps, and on-farm grain dryers;
(G) the movement of farm vehicles, machinery, equipment, and products and associated inputs on the roadway;
(H) field preparation, crop protection, and ground and aerial seeding and spraying;
(I) the on-site storage and application of agricultural inputs, including lime, fertilizer, organic materials, conditioners, and pesticides;
(J) the use of alternative pest management techniques;
(K) the management, storage, transport, utilization, and application of farm by-products, including manure or agricultural wastes;
(L) the expansion of farming practices or agricultural activities on a farm or the change or conversion of farming practices or agricultural activities to other farming practices or agricultural activities on a farm; and
(M) the employment, use, and housing of farm labor. (Added 2003, No. 149 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. June 3, 2004; amended 2015, No. 64, § 2; 2019, No. 64, § 5; 2021, No. 162 (Adj. Sess.), §§ 2, 10, eff. June 1, 2022.)