Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to subnav
Searching 2021-2022 Session

The Vermont Statutes Online


Title 6 : Agriculture



(Cite as: 6 V.S.A. § 4802)
  • § 4802. Definitions

    As used in this chapter:

    (1) "Agency" means the Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets.

    (2) "Farming" has the same meaning as used in 10 V.S.A. § 6001(22).

    (3) "Good standing" means a participant in a program administered under this chapter:

    (A) does not have an active enforcement violation that has reached a final order with the Secretary; and

    (B) is in compliance with all terms of a current grant agreement or contract with the Agency.

    (4) "Healthy soil" means soil that has a well-developed, porous structure, is chemically balanced, supports diverse microbial communities, and has abundant organic matter.

    (5) "Manure" means livestock waste in solid or liquid form that may also contain bedding, spilled feed, water, or soil.

    (6) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Agriculture, Food and Markets.

    (7) "Top of bank" means the point along the bank of a stream where an abrupt change in slope is evident, and where the stream is generally able to overflow the banks and enter the adjacent floodplain during an annual flood event. Annual flood event shall be determined according to the Agency of Natural Resources' Flood Hazard Area and River Corridor Protection Procedure.

    (8) "Waste" or "agricultural waste" means material originating or emanating from a farm that is determined by the Secretary or the Secretary of Natural Resources to be harmful to the waters of the State, including: sediments; minerals, including heavy metals; plant nutrients; pesticides; organic wastes, including livestock waste, animal mortalities, compost, feed and crop debris; waste oils; pathogenic bacteria and viruses; thermal pollution; silage runoff; untreated milk house waste; and any other farm waste as the term "waste" is defined in 10 V.S.A. § 1251(12).

    (9) "Water" has the same meaning as used in 10 V.S.A. § 1251(13). (Added 2003, No. 149 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. June 3, 2004; amended 2015, No. 64, § 2; 2019, No. 64, § 5.)