The Vermont Statutes Online
The statutes were updated in November, 2018, and contain all actions of the
2018 legislative session.
§ 564. Registration; administration; pilot project
(a) The Secretary shall establish a pilot program to research the growth, cultivation, and marketing of industrial hemp. Under the pilot program, the Secretary shall register persons who will participate in the pilot program through growing or cultivating industrial hemp. The Secretary shall certify the site where industrial hemp will be cultivated by each person registered under this chapter. A person who intends to participate in the pilot program and grow industrial hemp shall register with the Secretary and submit on a form provided by the Secretary the following:
(1) the name and address of the person;
(2) a statement that the seeds obtained for planting are of a type and variety that do not exceed the maximum concentration of tetrahydrocannabinol set forth in subdivision 562(3) of this title; and
(3) the location and acreage of all parcels sown and other field reference information as may be required by the Secretary.
(b) The form provided by the Secretary pursuant to subsection (a) of this section shall include a notice statement that:
(1) cultivation and possession of industrial hemp in Vermont is a violation of the federal Controlled Substances Act unless the industrial hemp is grown, cultivated, or marketed under a pilot program authorized by section 7606 of the federal Agricultural Act of 2014, Pub. L. No. 113-79;
(2) federal prosecution for growing hemp in violation of federal law may include criminal penalties, forfeiture of property, and loss of access to federal agricultural benefits, including agricultural loans, conservation programs, and insurance programs; and
(3) registrants may purchase or import hemp genetics from any state that complies with federal requirements for the cultivation of industrial hemp.
(c) A person registered with the Secretary pursuant to this section shall allow industrial hemp crops, throughout sowing, growing season, harvest, storage, and processing, to be inspected and tested by and at the discretion of the Secretary or designee. The Secretary shall retain tests and inspection information collected under this section for the purposes of research of the growth and cultivation of industrial hemp.
(d) The Secretary may assess an annual registration fee of $25.00 for the performance of his or her duties under this chapter. (Added 2007, No. 212 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; amended 2013, No. 84, § 1; 2017, No. 143 (Adj. Sess.), § 5.)