Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to subnav
Searching 2021-2022 Session

The Vermont Statutes Online


Title 5 : Aeronautics and Surface Transportation Generally


Subchapter 004 : Farm Crossings, Cattle Guards, Fences, and Watercourses

(Cite as: 5 V.S.A. § 3648)
  • § 3648. Complaint regarding fences, guards, crossings, watercourses

    A person through whose land a railroad passes, after such road is in operation, and after 10 days' notice by registered or certified letter addressed to the principal office of such railroad, may make complaint in writing to the Transportation Board that he or she is aggrieved by the neglect or default of a railroad corporation in constructing or maintaining fences, cattle guards, or farm crossings which the corporation is bound to construct or maintain, or by its stopping, impeding, or altering a watercourse, or by its making or stopping a ditch. The Board shall give reasonable notice to the petitioner and to the railroad corporation and to any other parties having an interest in the subject matter of the complaint, of the time and place of hearing thereon, and such notice shall be given by registered or certified mail or by personal delivery. (Amended 1959, No. 329 (Adj. Sess.), § 39(b), eff. March 1, 1961; 1993, No. 172 (Adj. Sess.), § 61.)