The Vermont Statutes Online
Title 3 Appendix : Executive Orders
Chapter 023 : MOTOR VEHICLES(Cite as: 3 App. V.S.A. ch. 23, § 2)
Executive Order No. 23-2 (No. 04-93) [State Vehicle Fleet Safety/Defensive Driving Program]
WHEREAS, the National Safety Council’s Defensive Driving Course is an internationally accepted accident prevention training program for improved driving performance; and
WHEREAS, use of seat belts can greatly reduce the number of highway fatalities and injuries.
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT I, Howard Dean, by virtue of the power vested in me as Governor, do hereby order the following actions:
1. All newly hired permanent state employees who operate vehicles on State business shall take the National Safety Council’s Defensive Driving Course.
2. All present State employees who operate vehicles on State business, who have not already taken the National Safety Council’s Defensive Driving Course shall do so as it is made available to them.
3. All department heads shall coordinate with the General Services Department’s Loss Prevention Coordinator for availability of the National Safety Council’s Defensive Driving Course.
4. The Department of Public Safety will be responsible for establishing its own Fleet Safety/Defensive Driving Program.
5. All operators and passengers in vehicles on State business shall use safety belts at all times.
6. All agencies and departments with State-owned vehicles are directed to prominently place a Seat Belts Required sticker on the dash of the vehicle as a reminder. Stickers are available at no cost from the Department of Public Safety.
7. All previous Executive Orders regarding fleet safety programs, defensive driving courses and seat belt use are hereby revoked.
This Executive Order shall take effect upon signing.
Dated February 24, 1993.